Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Sunday, December 23/2012

There is frost on the pumpkin this morning!!  It covers the quads and the bird water is frozen.  Brrrr....
I have a lot to do today - now doesn't that sound familiar!!  The turkey need to go into the brine today, the aspic needs to be made, the turkey neck bones need to be slow simmered for the gravy, the tarts should be made and the floor in the trailer needs its first coat of varathane.    So, with that in mind, I have full intentions of sitting back and relaxing over two cups of coffee before the madness begins.  Sometimes, it is all about taking the time to smell the roses!!
Well, I did eventually get into gear and now the turkey is sitting in its brine and the cranberry sauce is made and cooling on the counter (soon to be put into the fridge).  The aspic is also made and I must say that I make this purely for selfish reasons as no one else likes it and Ray (who is the resident cook in their household) has not even heard of it!!  Some people live such sheltered lives!!  The tart shells are done and ready for the cream cheese filling but that will be done Christmas morning and the turkey neck bones are simmering in the gravy pot.  The aromas in the bus today are incredible.
With the inside work all done, I headed into the trailer to start the varathane coats to the kitchen/living room floor.  Now that I have a new roller, I decided to give the long handle a try instead on getting down on my hands and knees using just the roller.  To my surprise, the varathane went on beautifully and in no time, the first coat was on and looking wonderful.  I cranked up the heat and turned on the big fan in the hopes that it would dry enough so that I could apply a second coat.  Again, to my surprise, I was able to get a second coat on before calling it a day.
Whew....... I think I am getting tired!!  LOL
I had a few things to get in town so headed in and picked up everything I would need to make it to the other side of Christmas and closed stores.  I truly am now, done for the day!!
I threw some seed out to the birds and waited for them to arrive.  They are enthusiastic eaters and a joy to watch.  Three bunnies showed up tonight (have not seen them in a while) and enjoyed the "new" bird seed.  This stuff has more corn in it and they really like that!!
The javalina arrived so Hogan got his entertainment as well.  He so enjoys growling and posturing for them.  I would really hate to tell him that they are not afraid and seem to know he cannot get to them through the fence so they stand, just on the other side looking at him and perhaps teasing him from time to time!!  They sure are stinky little creatures though!!
Once again, as the sun sinks in the west, the chill sets in and it was time to head into the bus.  Supper was a quick affair tonight as I did not feel like standing at the stove anymore today.  Burgers and oven fries had to do tonight.
After that, it was time for me to rest up overnight for yet another marathon day of activity tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment