Monday, September 17, 2012

Sunday, September 16/2012

I am up early and the day seems to be a bit dreary.  There is some heavy cloud coverage and I am hoping that it will clear up a bit as today is the "big ride" with the neighbours.  I will be riding Dave's old quad and am looking forward to theta.
We are soon on the trail and have decided to take Arlene down to Piche's Cabin.  This is a designated heritage site as it is the burial site of Harry Piche, a Metis Indian who lived a rather colorful life in the bush.  Upon his death, his wife buried his ashes at the cabin thus making it a burial site and out of the reach of the Department of Natural Resources who for years wanted both the cabin and Harry gone.  They had hoped to burn it down but were stopped because of some sort of Native Rights and the fact that it was now a burial site.  The cabin itself is well preserved and maintained by the Piche family and remains open for viewing by whoever comes along.  It would be a wonderful haven for anyone lost in the bush and who is lucky enough to come across it.
We headed out and of course the first stop is the little white church were we always stop to pay respects to those lying in the graveyard by having a cold  one "with the dead".  We then headed down the road towards "the block".  On the way, we scared up a flock of snow geese and by the time I arrived, were circling around getting ready to land in the field again and when I looked up, there was nothing but blue sky and white birds.  It was a kodak moment and I could not resist stopping and grabbing a few pics.
Once down in the block, we started down the trail and I was surprised at how dry the trail actually was.  With all the rain we got the other day, I had expected the trail to be much wetter.  It was an easy traverse through the mud along Deer Lake and we stopped at Slide Out for a beverage break.
We stopped at the start of Lilac Trail to gather the troops and prepared to tackle it.  This trail could prove more challenging and in fact was.  There were several trees down from the wind storm that accompanied all that rain the other day so they had to be crossed.  I did well up until I tried to cross a rather big tree and ended up getting high centered.  It was a good thing that Dave was behind me as he was able to ride my quad, his quad and Shirley's quad over the tree!!  Dave to the rescue!!
As we continued down the trail, there were several mud holes that we went around and one that I did not.  Gee, I wish I had gone around it as I got stuck 3/4 of the way through.  I thought I needed to be winched out but Dave yelled at me to "back up" so, with the override button pushed, was able to back right out of the stupid puddle and got back on track and went around it!!  What a rookie!!
We accessed the main trail towards Hooker Lake and ended up stopping at the end of the lake.  Now John and I had not been at this end of the lake for a few years and as we came into the site, there were still several campers parked in the area.  It is a rather pretty area and one that is enjoyed by several families throughout the summer.
First Beverage Stop - at the church


hundreds of snow geese, Getting ready to head south

At Slide Out 

mushrooms

Things you see in the forest - an old stove

The trail by Slide Out


Main trail to Hooker Lake


At the end of Hooker Lake

Hooker Lake




He was a poser




Piches Cabin

Arlene is having fun

Dave posing on the old truck

Dave and John


John, Shirley and Dave


Arlene, Marie and Shirley at the shelter

Dave and Garry
We enjoyed a beverage at this site and I was able to get a few pics of the lake from this perspective rather than from our usual beer stop.  Because it just wouldn't be the same if we came to Hooker Lake and not stop at the usual spot, we headed over that way as it was on the way to Piche's Cabin anyway.
There were still a few campers nestled in the trees at that site still but the whole area was real clean.  It looked like these campers actually clean up after themselves.
I got a few close up shot of a curious little squirrel that had come over to investigate the goings on.  He was not too terribly scared of us and posed for the camera!!
As we were about to leave this site and head over to the cabin, I encouraged Arlene to get on Gary's quad and ride it over.  The trails are wide and there are no real obstacles in our way except for a bit of a water crossing that I wondered if Arlene would have issues with.  Arlene had a very bad experience with water while she was riding her horse and both the horse and her almost drowned so now has panic attacks when ever she knows she has to cross any significant bodies of water.  when we arrived at the water, she got off the quad and switched places with Gary so that he drove through the water and she rode.  Once through the water, her and Gary switched seats again and Arlene drove to the cabin, travelling over fallen trees and winding trail.  She did great and by the huge grin on her face was thrilled that she was able to.
When we left the cabin, we took a trail that lead us to "the old truck".  After another beverage and a photo shoot, we headed over to the snowmobile shelter and then headed back down the trail towards home.
I managed to get stuck again on the way home and needed to be winched out.  It was a good one this time and I now hold the record for getting stuck the most in this group in a single day.  Gee, and Shirley worried that she would be the lame duck in the crowd!!  No worries Shirley, I got that one covered!!
We made it back to Slide Out without incident and since it was starting to cool off, I put my rain coat over my jacket to cut the wind.  Some others in the group also added a layer and then we were off again stopping at the cattle gate for the final beverage "in the block".
Because it was road riding all the way home, I put on my winter riding gloves, borrowed a pair to Gary, and those who did not add a layer at the last stop did so now.  It was dark out and there would be no ditch riding for me.  I needed to stay on the road where I was safe.
With one final stop at the church, we eventually all made it back home safe and sound.  Gary and Arlene headed home but Dave and Shirley stayed for burgers (which I had prepared prior to leaving today).  They tasted great but it was soon time for bed as Shirley had to work in the morning and I felt like I had been hit by a truck.  I am still not is shape for riding quad all day and since I was riding one without power steering, fear that I will be paying with sore muscles tomorrow!!
With that in mind, I still had an awesome day, and realized that I so miss riding my own quad.  Thanks go out to Dave for the use of his spare quad.  I fear your generosity has just cost me the price of another quad!!  Good friends and a good time - what more can one ask for???  We are blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment