Saturday, September 22, 2012

Friday, September 21/2012

The sun is shining today and it looks like it is going to be a wonderful day for the first day of Fall.  I will continue to work on my "list" of stuff that needs to be done before we leave Leoville.
Once last night's supper dishes were clean and the kitchen made tidy, I started getting the cupboards straightened out and turfed some more stuff out of them and into the storage trailer.
Shirley came over and informed me that she had asked the rototiller guy to come over and rototill her garden so that was my signal to get the rest of my junk out of her garden.  Since I had dug all the potatoes out earlier this week, there was just a few piles of refuse left and that was easily dealt with so now her garden is ready for the rototiller.
While I was out dealing with the clean up of Shirley's garden, I took another swipe at my own.  I picked a few of the tiny tim tomatoes off the last plant and pulled what was left up and stacked it in the "going to the dump" pile.  I then picked a few weeds and dug up half the row of swiss chard.  If Shirley doesn't want it, I will be digging what remains and throwing it on the pile as well.  That will leave only the carrots and the beets to deal with.  Slowly, my garden is being emptied of its wares and it too will be ready for the fall rototilling.
Gina stopped by today with the last of my Avon order.  Now I should have enough shampoo and conditioner to last me while I am in Arizona.
Shirley brought me a cookbook the other day published by the Spiritwood Community so it is full of tried an true recipes so I took the time to sit in the sun and scan some of the recipes.  John was still busy on the jeep, so I thought a cool beer in the sun reading my book was in order.
Just as I was about to start, a couple of the town ladies (who were out walking their kids) stopped by for a bit of a chat so there went my reading time.  One of the kids had managed to catch an injured bird so was more than happy to show it off.  She was worried that Hogan would eat it (she obviously didn't know Hogan) but I assured her that he wouldn't.  It was a female robin with a broken wing.  Hogan sniffed it then ignored it.  Eventually, the bird managed to get loose and took shelter in some trees out of reach of the children.
By the time the ladies left, John was finished with the jeep and we took the time to enjoy the last of the sunshine before heading into the bus and watching some of the football game.
Both Dave and Gary decided to go a try their hand at getting some prairie chickens with their shotguns tonight so I am sure we will find out how that went when they return.
The football game was not too exciting so John went and started a fire and we sat around it waiting for the guys to came home with their hunting tales.
While sitting there, Hogan became very focused on something sitting on the grass beside the door of the bus.  Because the lighting was bad for me, I was unable to decipher what it was.  I asked John and he said it was a bird.   Hogan continued to advance towards it and the little thing did not move.  We decided it must have flown into the window of the bus and was stunned by the impact.  Hogan sniffed at the thing and I went over to pick it up.   Hopefully the pics that John took of it are good and we can post them.  It was a little sparrow and I walked over to the evergreens and sat it on a branch.  I checked on it about 10 minutes later and it had gone so that was good - we had saved a life!!
Gary was the first to arrive back and he managed to shoot one prairie chicken.  Shirley arrived from work and wandered over for a beer.  Dave had yet to arrive back and since it was getting quite dark out, we knew that he would be back soon.  Ten minutes later he too was back and had bagged three birds as well  although one was fed to his dogs as it had too many pellets in the breast meat to eat.
Dave was hoping for pizza for supper and was rather disappointed that the dough had not been made yet but it just so happened that I had a pizza shell left over from last night and so I gave it to Shirley to use for their supper.
Nice night

rescued sparrow

Marie putting the little bird in the trees

Safe and sound
It wasn't long before John and I were the only ones left at the fire.  John started the BBQ and got the ribs cooking while I dealt with the potatoes and the corn on the cob.   Before too long, we too were eating and I must say, the ribs were delicious.
Bed soon followed for me and Hogan while John remained up watching TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment