Thursday, September 13, 2012

Friday, September 7/2012

I think I see some sunshine this morning and pray that we have seen the last of the rain for a while.
George and Jordan are busy cementing the last of the fence posts in and someone really has got to take the laundry over to the laundromat today.  I wonder who that will be??!!
I headed over to Dave and Shirley's to get Shirley's wagon as I have decided take a couple of loads over to the laundromat using her wagon.  Now, only in Leoville will I do that.  No one around here cares what I take to the laundromat.  Hell, I have even driven the quad over there.  It is a good thing though I am only a block and a half away from there.
I would have taken Old Blue, but when I saw that it was parked by the garage and that the back hoe was parked part way behind it,  I decided not to move it with all the traffic in the way.  There was also a good possibility of me backing over one of those newly cemented fence posts and I just didn't want to have to deal with that!!  The wagon looked to be my best bet!!
So, off I went, laundry in tow and hit the laundromat.  An hour and a half later, the laundry was done, folded and put away.  Life is good!!  Of course there is still all the dirty quadding stuff that needs to be done but that will have to wait a few more days - maybe tomorrow, who knows.  I will decide that later!!
The garden keeps calling to me as there is now the risk of frost and I would feel just awful if I allowed all those awesome vegetables to freeze.  With that decision made, I got busy  pulling all the cucumbers out and ended up with a gallon pail full of small cucs just begging to be made into pickles and a whole mess of larger ones needing to be made into relish.   Oh Dear!!
With the cucumbers picked,  George came over and mentioned that it was supposed to freeze tonight and I knew that I had to pick all the tomatoes off the vines as well.  There must have been a sad, desperate look on my face as George said he would come and pick some tomatoes and take some cucumbers home to his wife Cheryl.  He ended up picking a five gallon pail of tomatoes and cucumbers!!  He also promised to came and get some more swiss chard and said that they had already raided the zucchini patch and had taken 6 big ones home.  I was grateful for his help but he had a few more fence posts to cement in before he was done so left me to tackle the monstrous tomatoes plants.
I swear, in all my years of gardening, I have not seen tomato plants as big as the ones that grew this year.  It was truly the year for the garden as it was more than bountiful.  The tomato plants were as high as my waist and were so heavy with fruit that they actually toppled the tomato cages.  Many of the plants were lying on the ground as even the stakes that I had used to keep them upright were not heavy enough to hold them.    By the time I was finished picking all the plants, Shirley's wagon was full to overflowing!!  Because I do not can tomatoes (I just have no room to keep any of this in the bus) I give most of them away to the neighbours.  Shirley will be getting this wagon full of tomatoes for her salsa and canned tomatoes.  This year, I have shared our garden with the nursing home, the two Shirleys, Gary, George, Cheryl, Gina, Kimmy, Jill, Teresa and Gale.  Well Hell, I think I had a community garden this year!!  John and I certainly had our fill from it as well!!
With the tomatoes picked and safely stored away in the garage out of the danger of frost, I turned towards the cucumbers and have decided to do a few jars of pickles.  After a quick trip to the store for a few supplies (can't make pickles without garlic cloves!!) I started with the baby dills then moved on to the polish dills.   Eight quarts later, I was done and ready to just sit and relax.  Man, I have truly had a busy day!!
Gary went to Meadow Lake today to pick up his new quad.  He finally got tired of fixing the old one only realizing after spending hundreds of dollars on it, that the frame was bent and there was just no fixing it.  He now is the proud owner of a new Can Am quad and for some reason, can not quit smiling.  Arlene went with him to pick it up and they stopped at 8 mile corner for him to unload it and start the "break in" period for it.
John and I were having a few refreshments in the man cave when we invited and were soon joined by Gary and Arlene.  We had invited Dave and Shirley over as well but Shirley had worked all day at the Pawn Shop and her dumb hip was hurting her so she ended up going to bed with some advil.  Dave always goes to bed early so it was just the four of us.   Arlene was trying to add some culture to the gathering by drinking red wine but we were not to be swayed or converted and instead brought her down to our "beer level".   Beer...the drink of the commoner!!  I did get out my bottle of red wine I had brought from Arizona and Arlene drank some of it before they had to head home for supper and bed.  That wine will kick your ass if you drink enough of it!!
John and I too called it quits and headed into the bus for some much needed supper and bed.
All in all, it was another good day with John making some good progress on the jeep's dash and the garden now half way cleaned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment