Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Saturday, July 7/2012

I am home from my night shift and head to bed.  I am tired and so glad that the shift is over.  Now I have seven days off (hopefully).
Mom and her babies
I wake up at 1pm and feel a bit haggard.  I spend the next hour waking up and getting into gear.  Gary comes over and says he is leaving in about 15 minutes if I still want to go fishing.  Hell Ya, I want to go.  I quickly gather my gear and head over.
We are in the water by 3 p.m. and had the first fish in the boat by 3:30.  Woo Hoo.  I caught the first fish and the second.  I love my red and white spoon fish hook and so do the fish!!  When I got the third fish, Gary decided to change his hook to a red and white.  As soon as he did that he had a fish on the line and as it turned out, it was the biggest fish of the day.
Together we kept about 6 fish and threw several small ones back so that they could get bigger and we could catch them next year.
Gary is able to clean fish wonderfully well and with virtually no bones.  I asked him to teach me how to do it so he had me watch him fillet one then handed me the knife and said "go for it".  I took the knife and dived right in and,  I must say I think I did fairly well.  Not as good as Gary but practise makes perfect and I told Gary that he had to let me fillet all the fish we catch this summer.  He was more than willing to let me take on this job.
We had a great day on the water with us seeing a couple of bald eagles (one of which was sitting in her nest), a couple osprey, a doe and a mom duck and her 12 babies.  There were also four loons on the lake.   It was wonderful to see all this wildlife.
When Gary and I arrived home,  John had a campfire going and Dave and Shirley were over enjoying the evening.  Shirley had just arrived from her daughter's bridal shower in Saskatoon.  She had a great time there but was glad to be home.
We all sat around the fire until it was time for all to head home.  John cooked us supper and then it was bedtime for me as I was real tired.  Working nights and catching only a few hours sleep then going fishing and having to deal with all the sun beating on you (not to mention the beer) can be tiring!!
Jace and Kimmy are supposed to be coming here tomorrow to pick up their camper so I should get some much needed beauty rest so that I am not falling asleep while they are here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment