Thursday, April 4, 2013

Friday, March 29/2013

It is Good Friday today and we are headed up to Box Canyon to spend the day.  Hopefully we are the only folks in the canyon but being the Easter weekend, I truly doubt that we will be.  Oh well, if we get up there soon enough, we will be able to grab some real estate beside the water so that Hogan can frolic in it and pretend that he is a puppy once again.
Lorne and Marilyn arrived at noon and we loaded their vehicle with all the lawn chairs, the BBQ, and the food.  It is a good thing they have a pickup.  It looked like we were going to be spending a week in the canyon instead of just a day!!
Our Campsite for the day

Marie's chair....in the water

Judy, Mike, Kay and John in the sun.  Ray under the
tree in the shade.

John, Lorne and Marilyn

Hogan looking for his ball


Getting BBQ ready for the shrimp.

The girls and Hogan.  We finally got Kay to join us!!
Beer Drinking Bitches!!   Oh Ya!!
We climbed into the jeep (Hogan had been lying on the seat for 2 hours now!1), Ray and Kay in their side by side and Mike and Judy on our CanAm.   Down the road we headed and soon accessed the Hassayampa River bed and headed towards Box Canyon.
We did not pass anyone on the way so I was hoping that was a good sign.  I am not sure if today is considered a stat holiday but I know lots of folks are required to work today and that could be a good thing.
We arrived at "the box" and to every one's surprise, there was only one other group there and they were further down the river.  Now what a nice surprise.
It didn't take long before we had the chairs out and the beer cracked!!  The sun was shining and it was an absolutely gorgeous day.  Sunburns were a definite possibility although John was really the only one at risk for this and as it turned out....he did not disappoint us!!  His upper arms and neck were scarlet by the end of the day.....but.....he doesn't burn!!    Ya, right!!
Hogan played in the water and ran for his ball all day and with eight of us there to take a turn at throwing the ball, well, needless to say, he got his exercise!!
The BBQ came out and Mike taught John how to BBQ shrimp.  They were delicious.  After that, the smokies and brats went on the grill and everyone ate at their leisure.
The girls spent much of the day sitting on their chairs in the water and of course there was the usual splashing and craziness going on.
John joined "the girls" in the water and that was all that was needed for him and Kay to start a sand kicking fight and I am sorry to report that Marilyn got the worst of that little fiasco and she wasn't even involved in it!!   Sand in her beer (major party foul) and in her bra!!
Poor Marilyn also had the misfortune of getting hit on the back of the head with Hogan's tennis ball when one of the many throws went a little "wild" and beaned her just as she was about to take a sip of her beer.  After several heartfelt apologies, peace was once again restored to the canyon.  Gosh, for someone who is struggling with a "bad" back, she certainly had her share of misfortune today.  It is a good thing she is a good sport!!
While sitting on the "beach", Ray noticed a little lizard on a rock in front of him and poured some of his beer on it.  To his (and our) surprise, the little thing moved right over to it and started drinking.  He stayed there for quite a while enjoying a "cool one" with us.  I did manage to get some pics of it and though of Kimmy and how she would have enjoyed seeing this.
As the sun started to set, it was time for us to pack up and start the trip home.  I decided to ride in the side by side with Ray and we had a splashing contest with Mike and Judy on the way and I must say, they were totally soaked by the time we got past all the water.  Ray and I had a few water droplets on our shirts but Mike and Judy were dripping wet!!  Woo Hoo......we won!!   And they say that the kids have fun - gosh, I was laughing so hard my guts hurt!!
We all made it safely home and of course had to have one more beer to celebrate the end of a wonderful day. Ya, like any of us needed more!!
We unloaded the truck and Lorne and Marilyn headed back to the Best Western.  We are planning on heading over towards Lake Pleasant and Castle Hot Springs tomorrow for another adventure.  Go, Go Go....
As the evening ended and everyone was calling it a day, I started putting things away and cleaning up.  I had taken a big can of Bush Beans with us today and they didn't get used so,  put them back into the cupboard where they belonged.  As I continued to clean, I once again opened the cupboard door where I had put the beans and the damn can fell out and hit me on the bare foot.  I looked down and saw that it had cut my foot and I was bleeding LOTS!!  In fact, what I had done is cut an arteriole  and was actually bleeding considerably and may just need a suture or two to close the half inch wound.  Being a nurse, I knew that pressure was a necessity so that is what I did.  John, realizing that I was in a "bit" or trouble went out and told Kay to get in the bus, that I needed her help.  When she arrived, seeing all the blood (God, it looked like there had been a major stabbing!!) she said I needed to go to the hospital.  Of course, we had all been drinking and none of us wanted to drive so if I was going, it would be by taxi!!  Shit, Oh Dear!!  Not really wanting to do that, I continued to apply pressure and finally after about an hour of constant pressure, was able to get the bleeding stopped and some skin closures on it.  Now, no more bleeding and no need to go anywhere but to bed!!
What a way to end the day!!   Only to me, could this happen!!
All in all though, bleeding aside, it was a great day.  Fun was had by all and I hope we get to do this again next year (skipping the blood letting).

Our beer drinking lizard

No comments:

Post a Comment