Monday, January 28, 2013

Sunday, January 27/2013

It rained off and on throughout the night and this morning it remains very overcast.  The rain has stopped for the moment but I am sure we have not yet seen the last of it.
I was chatting with my sister back home and she basically told me to suck it up with all the rain talk as they were currently in another very cold snap.  When I mentioned something about having to go outside in my bare feet because I had forgot my rubber boots, she mentioned that if she had gone outside in her bare feet, they would have frozen, turned black and would have had to have been amputated and then everyone would call her "Stumpy"!!  God, she can be so dramatic at times!!
This morning, I looked outside and saw that Hogan and one of the javalina were practically nose to nose at the fence.  Now, isn't that something.  I think the pigs are finally realizing that Hogan can not get at them from this side of the fence.  He certainly was using his "big boy" growl though!!  It was cute but the javalina did not stick around for long when Hogan rattled the gate.
Kay and Ray were headed into Surprise today and asked if I wanted to go with them.  I decided to stay home and do some house cleaning.  It is getting messy in this bus again.  I just can't keep the dust our and with the recent rains, Hogan does not really care that his feet are dirty when he comes in.
We got an email from Keith and Charlotte a few days ago that said they had sold their truck and had bought a jeep.   Man, things are really working out well for those two.  I am so glad for them.  Their jeep sounds awesome and I am sure they will enjoy all the places it will take them.  Congrats you two!!
I finally decided that I had been inside long enough and took a walk outside.  There was a nasty little wind blowing today but the sun managed to shine through some of the rain clouds for a few minutes.   It sure felt nice on the face.  I went over to check on the agave plants that Kay and I had planted an few days ago and discovered that out of the five that we planted in the open acres, three had been attacked by those rotten little javelina.  Two are pretty much gone and the third is looking pretty unhappy.  They did however leave two alone.  Now, wasn't that nice of them?  I guess Kay and I will have to go and get a few more plants and do some replanting.   That will be a job for later on in the week I think.
I made some homemade vegetable soup earlier today so had lots of veggie peels to give to the javelina so, took that out and spread it around for them.  I really shouldn't even feed the little agave eating creatures after the way they went after three of the plants but they are kind of cute and I love to sit and watch them.
I threw some bird seed out as well then sat down in one of the many lawn chairs and did some birdwatching.  The quail and all their silliness make me smile and I love to watch them.  It is indeed nature's entertainment at its finest.
Kay joined me as usual and eventually we had to head into the trailer seeking warmth as the wind continued to blow and the little bit of sun we had left.  We ended up watching the birds from the kitchen window.  The bunnies came by a short time later and enjoyed a lot of the veggie peels and some of the seed as well.  The javalina did not show up until after dark and the only reason I know they were around is that Hogan was growling and carrying on and of course, they carry that musky "skunky" smell with them.
It wasn't long before John joined us in the trailer and the cards came out.  Kay is determined to get some of her quarters back.  Hopefully, that does not happen.  She still has some "greenbacks" in her stash that belong to me so I don't feel sorry for her yet!!
Mitch came over for a while tonight and joined the card game but did not stay long.  He lost his $1.50 (we play for high stakes around here) and went home.  He looked tired tonight as he too is battling this cold thing although his voice did sound better so hopefully, he is getting on top of it.
I fired up the deep fryer and cooked a bunch of chicken legs and that is what we ate for supper.  Finger food is always good when you are sitting around playing cards.
It was soon time to call it a day and that is what I did. I had a headache (winning all those quarters is a tough thing to do) so decided my bed was calling to me.  Kay was determined to continue playing cards and getting some of her quarters back but with only her and John playing, it would take a while since the pot was only giving you .75 cents at a time!!  Good luck with that!!
All in all, it was another good day.  Hopefully tomorrow, we get to see more sunshine and no rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment