Friday, January 11, 2013

Monday, January 7/2013

I am  up early and find that there is no internet access this morning.  It is down to "slow, dial up mode" and that is not good when I want to do the blog/facebook thing.  It will restore itself in about 8 hours so I find I have to sit here this morning and read my book.  Oh Dear, now that is quite a hardship.
Ray and Mitch are headed into Phoenix this morning as Ray has an eye appointment and will need a driver as  they will probably dilate his pupils during the exam and that makes driving a hazard.  Mitch had to go into town anyway so will accompany Ray and be the designated driver.
I have decided to do a few loads of laundry today as both Mitch and Kay have offered their machines for my use.  I am too lazy to take it to the laundromat although in hind sight, that probably would have been easier.
While doing the laundry, Kay and I decided we should go for a quad ride since there was really nothing else to do so that, is exactly what we did.
We loaded the quads with snacks and refreshments then John, Kay and I headed out.  We are going to climb Wickenburg Mountain, make a quick stop at the old stone house, drop by Trueman's mine for a visit then head back home and that, is exactly what we did.  All of us got a bit of a shock when we arrived at the stone house as we found it burned to the ground.  I stared in utter disbelief as I shed a tear at the total destruction and wondered who could have had such blatant disrespect for something that was obviously a jewel in the middle of the desert.  It was a recent burn as the smell of charred wood blanketed the area.  All that now remains, is the stone work.  Such a shame.
While at the house, I collected a few more geodes  then we headed over for a visit with Trueman.  We were lucky enough to catch him and Cowboy at the mine site and he told us that the house was burned within the last week.  Kids, he presumes.  He was not at the mine when it was set ablaze but said that it smoldered well into the next day.
With the daylight waning, we headed back towards home.  Crossed Wickenburg Mountain again, accessed the Hassayampa River bed then the highway and home.
Heading to Wickenburg Mountain. Above videos are of the climb up to the top 



View from the top




Exploring another wash





We found this giant cactus it had 20 arms

And was 50 to 70 feet tall


Kay and the cactus

All different shapes



The old stone house burned to the ground

Just the stone work left


We stopped at Mitch's and I finished the drying (laundry) while we enjoyed a campfire.  It was a great end to a great day.   Great Ride, Campfire, Beer and Friends.   Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment