Monday, April 11, 2011

Saturday, April 9/2011

Brown Headed Cow Birds

Crazy Woodpecker

The rain continued through out the night and finally stopped around 6am.  It was a gentle soaking rain.  One that did not lend itself to the possibility of seeing any of the washes run.  This rain, I am sure is the final boost that this desert needs to bring forth all the spring flowers and turn this area into one of God's many flower gardens.  Some of the hedgehog cactus are in bloom and many of the ocotillo are blooming as well.  Life in the desert is certainly different from anywhere else.
It is chilly in the bus this morning and when I went to let the dog out, I could see my breath!!
The birds are busy at the feeder - good thing I filled it yesterday before the rain.  At least they can keep warm eating.  I have a new bird at the feeder and after some research have found out that it is the brown headed cowbird.  It is related to the blackbird.  It is a "brood parasite" which means it lays its eggs in the nests of other birds.  When it hatches, the baby is raised by the host parent!!  Some birds recognize the "foreigner" in their nest and either kick the egg out or cover it with debris and refuse to hatch it.  The cowbird can lay as many as 36 eggs in a season!!  There are several at the feeder today.  Interesting, the way nature works.
I had to take the time to watch the crazy antics of the woodpecker this morning.  He was clinging upside down to the feeder making a valiant attempt to eat some of the seeds.  He is too big to perch on the edge but where there is a will, there surely is a way.  I managed to get a pic of him hanging upside down!!
I started the heater and then headed back to bed for half an hour until the chill was out of the air.  Once it was, I was up making coffee and checking out the emails and facebook.  Ariane and I finally got to chat and it was good to hear from her.  Everything is fine at home but the price of gas and milk has gone up an obscene amount since we left.
Being that it is raining, we got back into the game of Yahtzee and rest assured, I have definitely NOT gotten any better.  I sure missed those ass kickings!!
Once again, it proved to be a quiet day.  I think John and I have finally got the art of doing absolutely nothing down to perfection!!
Trueman stopped by for a quick visit.  We were sitting in the trailer around the phony campfire.  He had a few more stories to share with us and promised to stop by before we head for home.
Being Saturday night,  steak and baked potatoes were on the agenda for supper.  John decided to cook the potatoes on the phony campfire and despite my thoughts of it being a crazy idea, they actually turned out quite well!!  I was quite convinced they would burn and I HATE a burnt potatoe!!
With supper consumed, I headed into bed to grab a few chapters of my murder mystery(great bedtime reading!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment