Monday, October 22, 2012

Sunday, October 21/2012

I was unable to sleep last night but is sure was not from the lack of trying.  It is now 6 a.m. and I finally got up to start the big heater.  It is chilly in the bus and since I can't sleep, I might just as well have it warm when I actually do get out of bed.   I did manage to grab a few hours sleep after starting the big heater but I was up and drinking coffee by 8:00.  I guess it was just one of those nights when God decided that Marie did not need to sleep for long.  John however is sleeping like a baby although he did not come to bed until 4:00 this morning!!
The wind has returned today and although it is not blowing as badly as it was earlier in the week, it holds a bit of a chill.  The cooler weather is on its way and it will be a good thing when we finally pull out of here and start with our journey to Arizona.  I saw a pic on Facebook this morning and one of  the kids said there was close to three inches of snow on the ground in Leoville so it is a good thing we left when we did!!
Today, John and Bernie are supposed to be moving a few vehicles around in the yard and perhaps maybe even change the oil in Gloria's truck.  I am not sure if that is going to happen although John was quite adamant last night that it would........We will see!!
While sitting here catching up on the blog, I have the rice cooking for the cabbage rolls.  With that job done, the rolling is the easy part.  I gathered up all the stuff I would need for supper tonight then headed into the house where Kim and I got the cabbage ready and the hamburger cooking.  Before too long, we were rolling and had a roaster full.  All it needed now was to cook and have a roomful of hungry consumers.
The turkey was the next thing to be prepared and it too was soon in the roaster waiting to be cooked.
While Kim and I were busy in the kitchen, John and Bernie were outside moving vehicles around and getting the yard cleaned up and ready for winter.  I think they managed to move about 6 vehicles and John was able to cut the grass around where they had sat.  He was also able to harrow some of the ground at the spot where Bernie had hauled some dirt,  in an attempt to level the area and make it less susceptible to  flooding in the Spring.  See, we always seem to be thinking one season in advance around this country!!
It was soon time for Bernie to head into Saskatoon and pick Gloria up from the airport.  Her plane landed about 6:10 and they were pulling into the yard at 6:50 so they made excellent time.
After a few refreshments, supper was ready and everyone ate their fill.  Casey showed up today for supper so that was a good thing as there was plenty of food.
We made a bit of a dent in the amount of food that Kim and I prepared but there is still plenty for leftovers for the next few days.  Casey took some cabbage rolls home and there were still plenty left in the roaster.
With the supper dishes done, it was time for everyone to head home.  Casey and Kim left, Gloria headed to bed and John and I headed back to the motor home.
All in all, it was a very good, very productive day.
When John and I got back to the bus, we turned on the big heater (I should have had it on while we were in the house eating supper - but forgot).  It was most definitely chilly in the bus as the outside temperature was already -6 C (21.2F).   CHILLY!!!
Before John finally came to bed, the outside temp was -8C and was supposed to get to -10C so he got the electric heater and put it in the bay under the bus to keep all the taps and valves from freezing.  It is most definitely time to head south!!
While reading Larry and Ariane's Blog tonight he mentioned that they were at the opposite end of the temperature scale and have been battling extremely hot temperatures since they arrived at their spot in Arizona.  Today it was 39C (102F) and had been in the mid to high 30s for a few weeks now.  THAT is just too damn hot and they have had their air conditioning running pretty much constantly seeking cooler temperatures.  I guess it is too hot to do anything other than sit inside.  I remember John telling Larry that it still is pretty hot in Arizona at this time of year and I guess both he and Ariane are finding out just how true those words were.   I must mention that the snakes, spiders and scorpions love this temperature!!  When John and I arrive next month, the temperatures will have significantly cooled down (into the low 20Cs) so that all the nasty venomous desert creatures will be tucked away in their homes for the winter season.  One can at least breath at these temperatures as opposed to the 39C temps!!
I must say, that the sheets were definitely chilly tonight when I crawled into bed but with Hogan's help, we were soon snuggled down and warm.  Time to watch The Good Wife on TV!!


No comments:

Post a Comment