Monday, October 29, 2012

Saturday, October 27/2012

I awoke to the sounds of gunfire this morning.  It took all I had not to jump out of bed and hit the floor!!  Jesus, they are shooting at us!!   I had forgotten the love affair that the Americans have with their guns. I guess it must be goose hunting season as I heard several more shots and the unmistakable call of geese.  I am not sure if these hunters are very good shots or not, as a few times I looked out when the gunfire was happening I saw several geese fly overhead but none fell from the sky so I said a silent cheer for them.
We will be heading into Helena, Montana today to get new tires on the trailer.  One tire now keeps wanting to go flat so I imagine that it is a good thing to replace that one at least.
It is only -1C here this morning so it is pleasant out.  Hogan was out for a quick pee and came running back in as soon as the guns started up.  He is such a chicken liver!!  There are a few deer in the field next to the bus but they too are rather skittish with all the gunfire and I suspect that  they will head into the hills soon and be gone.
Before we started our trip this morning, John went out to check on things in the trailer and found that one trailer tire was flat so had to spend time pumping it back up for the trip to the tire shop.  While he was outside doing that, I got a few pics of some fly fisherman who where floating down the Missouri River beside the bus attempting to catch a few trout.  It was neat seeing them and hopefully the pics turn out.
We got into Helena in about an hour but travelled through a rather winding little valley on the way there.  It reminded me of a roller coaster as we went up a hill and down a hill, going around this curve and then the next curve and we travelled through blowing snow, a bit of rain and then fog.   I think we hit three seasons, all within that hour.
We found the tire shop without any difficulty and that was a very good thing as the tire that John had blown up this morning was pretty much flat again!!   Tire Rama  had the two new tires on in no time and we were good to go.  We then headed to the nearest Walmart, where I finished off the last of my shopping (there is no tax in this state).  There was a huge open field right beside the Walmart and this is where we decided to stay for the night.  The Saskatchewan Roughriders are playing football this afternoon and we arrived about half an hour before kickoff.  What great timing!!
As it turned out, the Riders lost so may have to cross to the Eastern Division for the finals - this may not be a bad thing but, we will see.
It is Saturday so that means BBQ steak and baked potato for supper. Mmmm......  I picked up two portabello mushrooms in Walmart so will add that to the menu as well.
We spent a quiet evening in front of the TV although I had my face buried in a good book for most of the day and continued to read while I watched TV.  It can be done you know.
What's this coming down the Missouri River?

Fly fishermen

They are going about 5 MPH


Weird looking little fishing boats

Heading out

Going through Craig MT

Sweet little town


A little fog on the mountains

Our spot for the night- Helena,  MT

It remains above zero so the weather has been holding rather nicely for us.  Tomorrow, we will continue our travels South and hopefully stay ahead of the cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment