Friday, May 20, 2011

Thursday, May 19/2011

Home on our lot in Leoville, Sask




Getting the garden rototilled

Thanks Beef!

Beef and Marie heading out to plant Beef's garden
The sun is shining this morning and it looks like the day is going to be on the hot side.  It is funny because although I say "hot", it is certainly not in the temperature range that John and I were experiencing in Arizona!!  "Hot" here is so much cooler!!  Either way, it looks to be a glorious day.
I borrowed Gary's lawn mower and started cutting the dandelions and found that within a few swipes of the lawn, the grass catcher was full and needed emptying.  Man, that cut grass is heavy.  After two stops to empty the catcher, the recoil went on the mower so I returned it to Gary and headed across the street to Dave's.  They had offered theirs for our use as well.  (Good thing we settled beside some friendly generous neighbors!!)  With the mowing finally done, Bayne showed up with his rototiller and tackled the garden.  By this time, the sun was beating down rather mercilessly and we required a few shade breaks.  Cold water was in much needed demand.  Yes, it was just water!!
Bayne and I had agreed to plant his Mom's garden this afternoon when she got off work so he only made one pass over the garden with the tiller before it was time to head over there.  Once Gail got home from work, she told us where she wanted things planted (she has very specific areas where she wants stuff planted!!), and Bayne and I got to work.  Gale was tired as it was very busy at the store so she was relegated to Supervisor and Bayne and I did the manual labor.  Charley came home from school so he was enlisted to help as well.  Three hours later, the garden is planted and the strawberry plants were also nestled into the soil.  It looked awesome and Gale was so pleased.  That alone made battling the killer, unrelenting mosquitoes worth while.
By the time I got back to the bus, Dave had come over and the guys had just finished moving the storage trailer around and the three of them (John, Dave and Gary) where sitting around the picnic table having a beer.  Dave had returned earlier from his physio treatment in Saskatoon and had picked me up some dandelion killer so now I had another job for tomorrow.
We had our first fire in the firepit tonight while we were waiting for the finale of The Mentalist.  With supper cooked and consumed, and the TV shows done, I showered the garden dirt off me and went to bed.  It was a busy day and I am tired - thank the heavens for tylenol!!

No comments:

Post a Comment