Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Saturday, May 21/2011

First fire of the year on our lot!

Marie and Hogan enjoying
The sun is shining again this morning and it looks like another nice day ahead of us.  I managed to forget to put the coffee pot under the basket and got a whole puddle of coffee on the counter, down the front of the cabinets and onto the floor!!  Well, is this not just the way to start a sunny Saturday?  Let the gong show begin!
Once it hit 9 a.m. I walked to the store to pick up a few things.  Bread was still on sale for 10/$1.00 so I picked up 10 loaves then walked them across the road to Dave and Shirley's freezer.  She offered us space so I took advantage of the offer.
I met Bayne over there  and he said his Mom was going to the nursery and was planning on stopping to see if I wanted to go.  Bonus, I need tomato plants for the garden.
Once back at the bus, I sat in the shade with a cup of coffee.  It is so warm out and sitting in the shade was awesome.  If only I didn't have to look at all those stinking dandelions!!  I swear to God, the town folks are going to kick us out of town if we don't do something about them!!
Gary came over to join me and mentioned that he had to drive into Spiritwood today.  Hello!!!  I asked if I could ride with him as I needed to get dandelion killer.  Already I could hear the screaming demise of those hideous weeds!!
Bayne's Mom did come by and ask if I wanted to go to the nursery but since the Spiritwood trip was more important,  I just asked her to pick me up some tomatoes instead.  She said she would and left, but, not before dropping off a rhubarb pie for John.  Yea, that's right, I do all the work and he gets the pie!!
With my return from Spiritwood, weedkiller and fishing license in hand, I got to work on the dandelions.  It was still hot out and ideal for spraying the weeds.  It was still to hot to start the planting of the garden as I have no desire to suffer heat stroke!!  Maybe, I will just sit and have a beer!!
Eventually, the sun did go behind the clouds and I was able to start the planting.  In no time at all, Shirley was home from work and between the two of us, finished all but four rows, which I can certainly do on my own tomorrow.
We started a fire and enjoyed that while the baked potatoes cooked.  It was a beautiful evening - warm and no wind.  Eventually, the steak was ready and it was time to eat.  Bed soon followed and that was the end of a very busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment