Monday, January 23, 2012

Friday, January 20/2012

The sun is up and shining this morning and it is supposed to get into the 70s today.  I am cooking supper, tonight and Keith and Charlotte are coming over to try my corned beef and cabbage.  I am also planning on baking a rhubarb coffee cake for dessert.  It should be good!!
The birds are busy at the feeder and the coffee is perking.  Awww, the sounds and smells of morning - priceless!!
I slaved over the stove all day today!!   Well, maybe not all day but I got the corned beef into the slow cooker early (around 9a.m.) then sat back and simply enjoyed the smell of it cooking.  My mouth was watering all day.  It was on for several hours and the solar panels had no problem keeping up with the power I was pulling from the batteries.  At no time did it go below 95% of the stored power so John was real happy with that.
Keith and Charlotte came over for a drink before supper and we sat around the "campfire in a can" until the potatoes were cooked and supper was ready.  It was delicious.  The corned beef was flavourful and oh so tender.  I had cooked the cabbage wedges in the juice from the corned beef and so the cabbage too was incredibly flavourful.  All in all, it was an awesome meal ending with the rhubarb coffee cake I had baked earlier in the day.  Keith brought some white wine and it paired wonderfully with the meal.  We truly are raising our standards when it comes to meals out here in the desert and that is a good thing.  It is really nice to sit around and enjoy a wonderful meal after a long day of hiking, reading, tinkering ......  although,  I must say that Keith does work every morning at his computer job (someone has to keep us in beer money!!)
We enjoyed the campfire for a while after the meal discussing all sorts of the world's problems and unfortunately, did not come up with any real solutions that weren't too radical!!  Bomb the bastards was not considered appropriate!!
Bed soon followed and I enjoyed an hour of reading before "lights out".

No comments:

Post a Comment