Sunday, August 7, 2011

Wednesday, August 3/2011

Street tires don't cut it!  Dave is still waiting for his new tires



Hogan enjoying the ride

Creek crossing

Looks a lot better with the lift


Winding through the pines

Our destination for the day




Harry ( third from left )


One last mud hole then home!

John and Casey and Dave and Shirley headed out on the trail ride today. John decided to take Dave and Shirley to Harry Piche's cabin. Harry was a bit of a dubious fellow who did not get along with authority so he moved out in the forest and built his cabin. As you can see by the sign on his cabin he did not live a long life. After his death the forest service wanted to burn his cabin down, but his family buried him beside the cabin. As Harry was native this made it sacred ground and the forest service could not destroy the cabin. The cabin is open to everyone and everything is as it was when he lived there. You will often find a fresh bottle of Pilsner Beer sitting on the counter as this was his favorite and one is often left as a show of respect for Harry.
 I stayed here as I have to work a night shift tonight and I know that despite the claims that they will be back before I have to go, that is most unlikely to happen!!
Instead, I went and laid down to rest and they took off.  I had cooked a couple of chickens and a whole bunch of corn on the cob for when they came home as I knew they would be hungry.
As I was walking to work, I noticed a build up of rather angry looking clouds and knew that we were going to get another rain storm.  I got to work without getting wet but not by very much time.  While I was taking report, I heard this awful pounding and when I looked outside I saw rain and hail just pounding the ground.  OMG - wonder if I have any garden left after this nonsense!!  I wondered if the trail riders were getting any of this.  It was  just nasty.  I did not realize just how much it had hailed until I let one of our residents out for his final smoke of the night and saw piles of hail stones on the ground under the eavestrough spout.  Holy Smokers!!  (to my amazement, there was still some left 12 hours later, as our Maintenance Man scooped some into a cup and put them into the freezer Thursday morning!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment