Friday, August 26, 2011

Saturday, August 20/2011

Dave

John, Shirley and Dave

John

Dave
Quad ride day!!  Gosh,  I have not been on a quad for 3 years and look forward to the ride with both anticipation and trepidation.
I decided to wear the chest waders as I hate getting wet and it looks like it could rain.  As we rode down the North road, it did start to rain but stopped by the time we hit 8 Mile trail.
As it was, the weather turned out to be phenomenal.  It was perfect actually.  We headed over to the Chitek trails.  Dave and Shirley have never been over to these trails so it was a pleasure sharing this part of the forest with them.
We saw some wolf tracks and also some bear tracks.  I love seeing stuff like this.  It reminds one that we are trespassers in this forest and that there are creatures here that can truly cause you harm.  It is quite a thrill.
We stopped for a wiener roast in an area that overlooks the river.  On a sunny day, one can actually look into the water and see fish swimming around.  Today, it is cloudy and not as easy to see them.  They camouflage beautifully next to the bottom.
After the meal break, we started the trek home.  There are a few nasty water holes we have yet to navigate.
The water holes were much better than the last time John and I had been here.  Shirley handled her quad like a pro and had no trouble getting through all the water hazards.   She was very proud of herself and rightly so.  It was the longest ride that  Dave and Shirley had been on.
By the time we finally arrived home, it was dark and we had been on the trail for 9 hours.  It was totally awesome but man was I tired.  I dragged myself to bed, thankful to be off my tailbone (which was sore but much better than I had expected) and finally horizontal!!  ZZZZZZ.....

No comments:

Post a Comment