Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Monday, April 30/2012

I slept  until 8:00 a.m. this morning and since I went to bed at 9:30 last night (Ya I changed my watch), I should be well rested and ready to go for the day.  It is a bit chilly in the bus again this morning so I had to turn on the heater.  It pumps out some good heat so does not take too long before it is toasty in here.
While doing last night's supper dishes (ya, I know, the maid - she is not very good!!) I looked out the kitchen window and saw four antelope walking along the beach and stop to drink from the lake.   It was so totally cool.  Yesterday, when I was at the beach, I did note that there were lots of tracks in the sand and thought they may be deer tracks - but,  now know that they were probably antelope tracks.  Of course I had to stop doing dishes and take pictures and watched them until the dish water was cold!!  What the Hell - I don't think I was watching them that long!!  Anyway, it is so incredible that I got to see them and once again I feel that I truly am blessed in being able to witness nature at its finest.
Just as I was about to put this blog away, I looked towards the water and there was a Great Blue Heron wading in the shallows looking for a quick meal.   He was awesome to watch and yes, I did take pictures!!
Pronghorn Antelope by the water



Great Blue Heron

Heading out

Left it is

road is open so that is a good sign!!


starting the tunnels along Wind River Canyon



Trains to the left - Cars to the right






This canyon is truly a jewel in Wyoming's landscape.  It is beautiful




Heading towards Montana

Welcome to Montana

The Clark Fork of the Yellowstone River

A train carrying nothing but huge propellers for wind turbines.
It took two trailers to carry each propeller and three engines to pull the train.

Our camping spot here in Laurel Montana - just outside of Billings




Yellowstone River - moving fast and looking mighty angry


Hogan and I walking around all the old building of the former POW camp



Mr Robin - Spring has Sprung

Hogan chillin after a long hard day of travel!!
Before we left this morning, the park ranger came by.  He had been out doing his rounds and noticed us parked down here at the lake side.  He was pleasant, asked where we were from and when I said Saskatchewan, he said "Saskatoon"?  Imagine my surprise!!  I said yes and asked how he knew and he said he only knew of Saskatoon and Moose Jaw!!  Anyway, he was a pleasant fellow and we chatted for a while before he wished us a safe trip and headed out.  Being that we were not in an official "campsite" I thought that he was going to give us grief but he said that they allow camping such as this along this side of the Reservoir so that was good to know.
We headed down the road through some pretty incredible scenery (I love traveling the Wind River Canyon) and soon found ourselves stopping for the night at the Riverside Campground in Laurel, Montana (a World War ll POW camp).  Last year, when we were heading down to Arizona, this campsite was closed (upgrading) so we were pleased to see that it had re-opened and we wheeled on in and settled for the night.  Hogan and I walked around the camp, chit chatted to a couple of the locals then returned to the bus.  It was pleasantly warm out and a good evening for a walk.   The robins and squirrels were enjoying the evening as well.
Tomorrow we will make a stop at Walmart then head over to the "fix it" shop for some repairs to the jeep.  Once they are done, we will continue our North bound trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment