Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday, April 11/2010

The phone rang a couple of times during the night and I was unable to receive the call - something was definitely up - John is still not home and he is certainly going to get to hear my opinion on that matter!! It is now 6AM and I haven't slept much - I wonder why??
The first thing I do every morning is turn on the computer and check the emails while the coffee is brewing. This morning was no different EXCEPT there is this strange email from a nurse who works trauma at one of the Phoenix hospitals. Not only does my heart leap into my throat, but my jaw hits the floor. Apparently, on John's way home last night he had an encounter with a deer and lost control of the bike ending in him being transported to a trauma center in Phoenix by helicopter. John is aware that cellular service is quite sketchy at times and the best way to contact me is through email, so, that is how I found out that he was injured. I phoned the hospital, spoke with the nurse who emailed me and got directions to the hospital and proceeded to get ready for my journey to the big city.
Before I left I delivered the popcorn cake to Mr Stub ( left it outside by the back door with a note about John) then took off for Phoenix. Have I ever mentioned that I hate driving in large cities - especially ones I am not familiar with?
I found the hospital with surprisingly very little trouble. I also found John and got the scoop on him. He sustained a bit of a head injury (no helmet on) sutured laceration and some scrapes (CT head was clear). CT neck, chest abdomen also clear. He does however have a nasty fracture of his tibial plateau - This directly involves his knee joint and this is not a nice fracture. Some of these fractures can be surgically repaired and some can't. I waited all day for the orthopedic surgeon to come and have a chat with me and unfortunately was not able to do so as he was in the operating room all day and just like home, was the only ortho surgeon on call for the weekend. Bottom line is that if he requires surgery, the insurance company will probably want to transport him back to Canada instead of paying for the surgery here. Hopefully, I will find out tomorrow what the plan is. The insurance company has already made contact with the hospital and I will contact SGI about the bike and their insurance. Oh my shattered nerves!!
I made all the necessary phone calls home and settled in for the night. I have a headache!!

No comments:

Post a Comment