Friday, November 16, 2012

Wednesday, November 14/2012

Well, it is the first full day of our winter here in Wickenburg.  The sun is not up yet and there is a bit of a chill in the bus but as soon as the sun rises there will be a marked temperature spike.  It is quiet outside and I have yet to see the javalina this morning.  I am sure they will be around at some point today.  Kay (our neighbour) says there are two little babies that come with their Mom so I can hardly wait to see them.  Ray has continued to feed them throughout the summer so they know where to come for their treats.
Once the sun came up, I took my coffee outside and settled into my chair and just enjoyed the warmth of it and the peacefulness of the morning.  Wow, I so missed sitting here and watching all the birds.
As I look around the yard, I do notice that there is some maintenance to be done.
While we were gone for the summer, the torrential monsoons did a number on the covered lean to and the metal roof is now lying on the ground.  We had intentions of taking the thing down anyway as it was quite an eyesore so, the fact that it is now lying on the ground is not a bad thing.  Ray said it started leaning badly after one monsoon and was on the ground after the next one.  The metal can go to the recyclers and the wood will be burnt in the fireplace.
Last year we had chopped several mesquite trees out and I see that one has returned with a vengeance.  It is now what you would call a shrub (no tree yet) but has armed itself with thorns, some of which are 2 inches long.  Now that, is going to hurt when you brush up against it and unfortunately, it is right beside the gate leading to the open acres just on the other side of our yard.  It will be thorns vs Marie and I WILL WIN!!  Stupid Tree!!
It was basically another pyjama day although I did get dressed.  Time for the capris and tank tops.  I did not think sitting out in the yard in my pink nightie and my green fluffy Rider pants would be appropriate but they do make allowances for us Canadians!!
Marybeth (another neighbour) came over for our usually scheduled "happy hour" with her glass of white wine (in a travel mug - yes, that's right, we are very classy down here) and together we sat and watched the birds.
I have got to go and buy birdseed.  Last year, Ray and I fed them (and the javalina) twice a day.  He threw seeds to the birds and dogfood to the javalina in the morning and I threw seeds and dogfood out to them in the late afternoon.  This way, we had fine feathered friends around all day and javalina when ever they decided to wander through.  It was great.
While Marybeth and I sat there, the javalina did come and we soon had the privilege of seeing the two babies.  They were awesome but the Mom kept them at a distance.  She was quite wary of coming too close.  Hogan was quite bugged so I ended up putting him in the bus while they were around.  I threw chunks of potato over the fence and that was gone in no time.  Wow, first day here and I see the babies!!  Does it get any better than that?
The evening was spent quietly with Ray and Kay inviting us over for a beverage.  I was busy reading but John went over for about an hour before returning home and spending the rest of the evening watching TV.
Tomorrow, we have stuff to do and since today was a "rest" day, tomorrow should be a work day.


Javalina in the empty acres beside our property.

Little babies - only a few weeks old

Hungry little critters.   Always wanting to nurse

Mom didn't come very close

No comments:

Post a Comment