Friday, November 16, 2012

Thursday, November 15/2012

Oh Dear, I think it is going to be another warm day!!  I feel bad when I see the temperature back home and see that they are into the double digit minus numbers.  Ya, I do.......really!!  Where on earth did I leave my sunglasses??!!
Ray is the caretaker of the park we are in and this summer, the park gained ownership of one of the trailers here.  Apparently it is full of all sorts of "stuff" and he needs help cleaning it out along with cleaning up the yard.  I told him during the summer that he had to wait until I got here to do it as I would help him and Kay with the cleaning.  (I totally need to be doing something when I am down here) Because John and I are helping, we get to have anything we want inside the trailer so I am hoping there are dishes and "stuff" I can use for our place.  Woo Hoo - it will be a treasure hunt!!
We headed over to the trailer with garbage bags, a huge trailer so we could throw all the trash into it and Ray could take it to the dump, our gloves and anything else we thought we could use.  Two hours later, we had the trailer full, and had piles for the Soroptomists (much like our Salvation Army) and a pile of stuff for us.  Wow, I scored an awesome set of dishes and silverware.  Woo Hoo!!
Now, we just need to clean and that will be a dirty job as the place has been empty for several years.  I told Ray to "bug bomb" the joint before we headed into it as I really had no desire to come face to face with any nasty ass spiders or snakes!!  So far......so good!!
When that was done, I got the big clippers out and declared war on that thorny shrub by the gate.  Despite the fact that I had on leather padded gloves, a few of the thorns managed to get through only making me more determined to win this battle.  Eventually, it was cut to pieces and hauled away.  Ray then took his drill and drilled holes around the stump and poured some sort of root killer around it.  Take that you nasty ass thorn producing tree!!
John, in the meantime was busy cleaning up the collapsed shed thing.  He cut up all the wood for the fireplace and stacked the metal along the brick fence so that it could be hauled away once we got all the metal from that abandoned trailer together.  We will have quite a bit of metal for the recyclers.
We had one tree in the yard that seems to have grown rather well and we now cannot get to the back door of the trailer so John and Ray cut a huge limb off it.  Now the path is open and we have access to the other side of the trailer and that part of the yard.  Man, for desert conditions, these trees are certainly adaptable and grow like crazy!!
With all the work for today done, I hopped into the jeep and headed to the store for some much needed milk and bread, birdseed and hummingbird food and had to stop at the ATM for some money as tonight we start our shuffleboard tournament which will last the whole winter.
Finally, back at home and a few hours to sit and relax before we are once again "on the go".  While sitting in the yard before heading off to shuffleboard, Kay looks out into the empty acres over the fence and sees a bobcat sitting on the other side of a mesquite tree.  Of course we all looked and sure enough, there it was in some sort of stalking mode (not sure what it was after, perhaps one of the little cottontail bunnies) and it wasn't until it actually stood up to its full height that we got a good look at him.  He was awesome and yet another reason for our sweet little Hogan not to be running around in the "north forty" by himself as I am sure Mr. Bobcat would make quick work of him.  Wow, another highlight for this year.
Shuffleboard was fun tonight, and after many hugs and "how are you and how was your summer"s  we  got the rocks rolling.  I was partnered with Harvey (a fellow we met last year from Washington state) and he hates to lose.  Now that is definitely NOT a good thing as I have not played since leaving here!
As it turned out, we did end up losing although we made a respectable showing.  John and Ray were partnered up and they were soon eliminated from the tournament.  At least Harvey and I did better than them.  Kay and Kiki (Harvey's wife) took second place so they got their entry fee back.
Once the tournament was over, Kay and I challenged John and Ray in our annual mini tournament and got our asses kicked big time.  OMG - that is not good and because Kay and I gloated so much last year (as the champions),  John and Ray thought that they would reciprocate.  They are such poor winners!!  Game on now boys!!
It was a good day.  We got lots of work done and ended the evening with fun and friends.  Not too shabby!!




No comments:

Post a Comment