Saturday, February 25, 2012

Thursday, February 23/2012

Our back yard


Beautiful - Thanks Kay!

The sun is shining and the birds are busy at the feeder.  There is a slight wind blowing so I am afraid that it will be a bit cooler today.
I spoke with my sister Jan yesterday and she tells me that it has been nice at home for a few weeks now and there is not very much snow on the ground any longer.  Both her grandsons were out playing yesterday and she says that they are outside almost everyday now.  They must have awesome little rosy cheeks by the time they get back inside.
John and I will be home in 8 weeks so hopefully it will be warm and sunny.  Then I can start to think about planting the garden!!  Woo Hoo!!
I actually made it into town today with the laundry although I truly did try to talk myself out of the experience!!  While in the laundromat, I saw Kiki and Harvey - they are from Washington state and had plans to head back to their home last week however, poor weather there has kept them here in Wickenburg so we will have one more shuffleboard tournament with them tonight.  Kiki is such a hoot while Harvey is a bit more reserved.... until the refreshments kick in!!
Being the designated driver again tonight (my choice this time as I had a few too many last night and just can't see myself indulging tonight) we headed into town, parked at Ray and Kay's then piled into their car for the ride to the Bar 7.  The jeep just does not handle 5 people all that well so we got smart and took the car.
Shuffleboard was a cut throat game tonight with pride and $30.00 on the line!!  Being Kiki and Harvey's last night, and with her on the winning team, all she wanted was for everyone just to keep liking her and not run her out of town with gunfire!!  I think I laughed from the time the tournament started till it was finished two hours later!!  One of the best things we ever did was get involved with this group of fun loving people.  I so look forward to these Thursday night showdowns!!
With all the non sober folks loaded into the car, I drove back to Ray and Kay's and, I must say that I had lots advise as to how to drive, when to signal, when to start applying the brakes, etc. etc. etc. and despite all this advise, made it back safe and sound!!
Of course we had to stay for a few more refreshments as we all know that no one had actually had enough so I opened a bottle of water and enjoyed the entertainment.  Kay started a fire in their chiminea and it wasn't long before the chill was chased away and everyone was comfortable and chatting about all things of great importance!!   I so enjoy sitting around with Ray and Kay.  They truly are marvellous, caring people and I think that we will have lots of fun and good times in the future.
Ray deep fried some of the rattlesnake from a few days ago and I must say, it was not unpleasant although there was very little flavour.  It is one of those meats that tend to take on the flavour of the spices that are used while cooking it.  It is the texture that is rather unique - kind of like calamari.
Kay had purchased a unique "medicine bag" at Gold Rush Days last weekend and gave it to John and I as a gift tonight.  It is beautifully painted with an eagle's head on it and made out of the softest hide I have ever felt.  It is absolutely beautiful and I felt honoured to receive such a personal gift from her.  Kay's roots are Navajo and since I love native art and know how meaningful a medicine bag is to the native culture,  I was incredibly moved by this gift.  Inside this bag, I told Kay that I would put part of the geode that Ray split in half for me.  Inside the geode, were some wonderful crystals.  It seemed only fitting that this should be what goes inside my medicine bag.
Finally, back at the bus and into bed.  John of course has to catch up on the news on TV (although I am not sure if he will remember it in the morning!!) and I had to read a few chapters of my latest book.
All in all, it was another great day with fun being had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment