Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tuesday, December 7/2010












Once again, we awaken to the glorious sunshine. The birds are singing and all seems well with the universe. Hogan and I will go out for our walk after I grab a cup of coffee. Right now, he has just jumped off the dash and headed out the door in hot pursuit of some creature he has seen outside. When he returns. the score count will still be: creature 1 Hogan 0. The hummingbird feeder is back up and I hope it won't be too long before one of them finds it.
Hey! I am not even done with this blog before there is a little hummingbird at the feeder! SWEET!! Life is grand!!
Back from our walk and man, is it hot. Both Hogan and I had to stop about 5 times for a drink of water. It is too hot today to be walking!! How is that for an excuse!! I must remember to start out before eleven cause walking at this time of day is nuts!!
It was a good walk though. I met Joe and Mary. Mary must have been in her 80s and Joe is her son. They live in a cargo trailer which Joe is converting into an RV. Right now it has only two beds in it but they both seem quite content. Their goal is to live in this trailer until they can save enough money to buy a piece of land with a mobile home on it. It is remarkable how some people live. I guess one doesn't realize the hard economic times we live in until you see it up close. Here in the matter of two days, I have met people that actually have no homes and live out of their vehicles. Mary, I am sure is in her 80s and I can't help but wonder if she will ever reach her dream. Gosh, I wish I was filthy rich and I would buy her a place she could call her own. It is when I meet people like Joe and Mary and Jim (weird camping guy) that I realize just how very lucky I am to be living the life that I do. For this, I will always be grateful.
John worked on the jeep today. He decided to take the hard top off it and let me tell you - that thing was HEAVY!! I think I left my ovaries on the ground after helping John heave that thing off!! I sure hope we don't have to put it back on!!
John called me over to the jeep a while later to look at this weird creature on his tire. Hopefully the pics I took of it turn out and you can see it for yourself. I think it is a "walking stick" - a unique little creature that gets its name from the simple fact that it looks like a stick and uses this as its way to catch its food. Unsuspecting bugs are fooled and come to close and BAM -you are lunch!!
We settled into this campsite and I think we will stay here for the winter. It has lots of trees and several yucca plants at the site and also is a bit more secluded than last years. I can hang my Christmas light up (I have the tree picked out already) and get the little solar lights out and Old Man Stump as well. I can make this campsite "home" for the next 5 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment