Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sunday, December 27/09

The day after, the day after - time to get on with life - enough of this Christmas stuff!!! Might even take the tree down today - will leave the outside lights on though. I usually light them up for New Year's Eve so, why change now?
I had to sit this AM and catch up on the blog because I had slacked off on it the last couple of days. John even had the pictures downloaded before me!!
That being done, I took some time out of my busy schedule to read a few chapters in my book. The hummingbird is back so I even have some entertainment - provided by Mother Nature. Hogan and I didn't go for our walk yesterday so there was no getting out of it today. We will stick to the main trail and head down to the 2 mile marker. That will be a good little jaunt for both of us. There have been a few new campers move in and alot of vehicle traffic today so really must go and check out the neighborhood!! Off we go, stopping to chat to a few folks along the way and finally reaching the coveted 2 mile marker. Now, time to head all the way back!! Hogan, I am sure travels at least an extra 1/2 mile with all the zigzagging he does!! Occasionally, there is a rabbit he has to chase and I don't have the heart to tell him he will never catch the silly thing. I only hope he doesn't step on a cactus when he is in "pursuit" mode!! Those little Teddy Bear Chollas love to grab on to you. John made a good suggestion the other day - said I should carry a small pair of pliers with me when Hogan and I go exploring just in case I have to pull some thorns out of his paws. Good idea!!
On the way home I chatted to a fellow who has driven passed the motorhome several times in his older model two toned Ford truck. His name is Truman and he is an old prospector!! He had a full faced white beard and looked like your typical Gabby Hayes prospector type guy!! He has been prospecting for years and has a mining claim further up the road where he mines and prospects for gold and other minerals. He was a very interesting fellow and explained all sorts of things to me. When I mentioned that I had never seen raw gold and probably wouldn't know what I was looking at even if I did, he pulled out a small square container and proceeded to show me some of the gold that he had mined from his claim. When he said I would most definitely recognize it he was quite right. There it was, resting beautifully in the palm of my hand, sparkling as gold as gold could be. WOW!! Truman said "it's the same color as the rings on your fingers" and he was most definitely right. Because we had seen several mining claim signs on our travels in this area he explained the different types of claims. There are basically two types of mining claims and Truman has a Lode Claim which means that he can actually dig into the mountain to obtain the gold or what ever mineral he is after. In a Placer Claim, you cannot actually dig into the mountain - this is where panning for gold comes in, I do believe. Anyway, it was quite interesting talking to Truman and meeting his dog who, by the way, had two different colored eyes.
Hogan and I eventually made it home and after a short rest and coffee break with John in the sunshine (might just as well enhance the suntan!) decided to take down the Christmas tree and get things back to normal in the bus. That being done, it was time for supper - TURKEY again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment