Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Monday, October 27/2014

I did not sleep well last night - maybe because I knew I had to get up earlier this morning, I don't know.   At one point I awoke to coyotes singing their songs and it sounded like they were not too terribly far away.  This was the first time I had heard them since we arrived.

Heading into Fernie
I got the coffee going and before too long we were headed into Fernie to a little repair shop called Backyard Mechanical.  Koodos need to go out to the owner for getting our truck in and looked at.  By 2:00 o'clock it was ready for pickup with a clean bill of health.  I can now continue the trip south knowing the truck is ok.  I will however, keep "The Powers" on standby!!

Heading out of Fernie - the sun is hitting the mountains -
Looks Awesome
There had been a heavy frost overnight and the highway was rather intimidating for me.  I had not travelled wet (possibly icy) roads for a long time.  It didn't take too long before I was back in Saskatchewan winter "driving" mode  and was entering the City of Fernie unscathed.
The Elk River
Once we dropped the truck off, it was off to the grocery store to get all the necessary ingredients for the cabbage rolls that are scheduled for Wednesday's supper.  With that done and the stop at the post office done, we headed back to "The Ranch" to await the repairs on the truck.

Fog in the area
At 2:00 p.m. we headed back into Fernie to pick up the truck, grab some beer and get back to the ranch for happy hour.  The trip home was exciting as there was a semi truck behind me (John had the camper in front of me) who thought he needed to ride my bumper.  I was driving the little tracker and was quite intimidated by him but thought "screw you, big guy, I have a right to the road as well".  It wasn't long before the highway allowed him to pass me so now he was able to ride John's bumper.  Of course I knew John would be slowing down to make a left hand turn off the highway so knew that this whole scenario was not good.  There is no turn lane so this asshole had to slow down.   Well how easy is that for a big semi?   Of course John got on the C.B. and had a not so friendly chat with the driver who informed John that he had a schedule to keep!!  Seriously!!!!  John asked him if his schedule was worth some one's life and the driver failed to answer him.  Of course I did not hear any of this exchange.   All I saw was the semi taking the shoulder of the road to get around John.   Jesus, Mary and Joseph, there was dirt, sand and gravel flying everywhere but the driver kept control and continued on his merry way.   Where are the cops when you need them??
Of course, there were two semi trucks behind me and I am sure they heard the exchange over the radio as I noticed that they had dropped back behind me.  I signalled in lots of time and I noted that the one semi directly behind me immediately put on his four way flashers indicating that he was slowing down.  Thank You Lord!!   I was never so glad to get off a piece of highway as I was then!!

The Hwy to "The Ranch"
Both Lorne and Marilyn arrived back home close to the same time and we then commenced with refreshments, conversation and supper.   All too soon, it was time to call it a day.
Once again, we have come to an end of yet another great day.   Life is Good.

Somewhere.....there is a Stellar Jay in the tree!!

No comments:

Post a Comment