Sunday, November 1, 2009

October 30/09







Awake early, dog had to go out. Why do you suppose he always comes to my side of the bed? It is still raining out but again is not cold. The roads will be wet but not icy. Thanks once again to my little travel angels. Once showered and had our coffee, we were on our way.
Headed South once again and towards Idaho the weather started getting a bit colder and there was more snow along the ditchs. It wasn't long before the snow was on the road. As you can see from the pictures, the roads got down right UGLY. We travelled over packed snow and ice, up and down mountain passes at greatly reduced speeds. My heart was in my throat and I remember wondering were the hell were the snow plows. Even on the CB the semi drivers were commenting about the lousy roads, so you know it had to be bad!!
At one point we tried to make it to a recreational camping spot and managed to get the motorhome and trailer stuck. Yes, that's right!! Well, not so much stuck but unable to make it up an icy incline -but- there was a least five inches of snow on the ground. Guess what? Marie is NOT having fun anymore!!! Long story short (after Marie fell on her ass, getting out of the motorhome) we unloaded the tracker and pulled both motorhome and trailer out of the ice and snow. God I can't wait to see the sands of Arizona. Can we just please stick to the pavement?
I am finding I have poor tolerance for this icy road crap and even though John reminded me that we lived in this crap for over 50 years, it didn't make me feel any better. I think John was getting a bit tired of all my gasps and groans and once again reminded me that he used to travel thousands of miles on roads like this. Yea, well I am getting an ulcer!! Not to mention a headache and I think I'm going to throw up!!!
Finally came across a snow plow headed in our direction so tucked ourselves behind him until the roads improved. My shattered nerves!!! Of course seeing three police cars screaming passed us headed in the direction we had just came didn't help either!! You just knew there had been some tragedy behind us. God I hate this weather. Have I mentioned this before??
Eventually the roads cleared and were only wet, no ice, no snow. YEAH!! We saw a sign for another recreational area and yes, it was on pavement. We managed to locate it only to find a CLOSED sign on the gate. Ask me if I was happy?? God, can't the state of Idaho put a closed sign up one the highway? If my liver wasn't shot, I'd have a drink!!
As it turned out, there was a huge parking lot beside to recreation area which proved good enough. Good night, I'm taking my shattered nerves, my ulcer and lousy liver and going to bed!!! Tomorrow has got to be better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment