Sunday, November 1, 2009

October 28/09

Definately not up early - must get mobile - moving day. John put water in the motorhome and I got the inside ready for travel. Must stop back at the Pioneer Bar and say thank you for the great time we had last night.
Jeff gave me a little "keepsake". It is a piece of deer antler, shaped like a coin, stamped with two buck heads on one side and Pioneer Bar on the other. These are given out when someone buys you a drink. If you are not finished your current one, then the "coin" sits on the bar until you are ready to order another. That being done, you use this "coin" for payment. NEAT!! Anyway, Jeff gave me one as a keepsake.
A quick trip down the highway to Hilger and as the town came into view, I was struck by the picturesque setting. There was the town of Hilger nestled quietly between two mountain ranges - the Judith Mountains and the Moccassin Mountains. So very pretty and what postcards are made of.
Last night, we were told that Larry made the best Jerky this side of the Missouri so had to stop and pick up some of this. Went into his little meat market and was surprised to see how darn busy he was and then realized that this was hunting season. Da!! Anyway, the jerky was indeed as good as we were told.
Made the short walk back to the Pioneer Bar and as fate would have it, started talking again, and, before you knew it --Happy Hour lasted till closing. (I think I'm getting liver disease!!)
This time around I met and enjoyed the company of Jody, who, as it turns out, is also a registered nurse. She had just returned home after working 7-12hr shifts , and now had seven days off. This apparently is her schedule and she says that this is not uncommon here as several nurses work this and share an apartment in the city and come home for their days off. I can't imagine working 7-12hr shifts in a row. That is just UGLY.
George had come back into town, so had more fun with him. He is looking for a Canadian wife so that he could retire in Canada and that is the only way that Canada will allow this to happen. Anyone interested can give him a call!! NICE man and comes with a cute dog by the name of Jack. George has chickens on his acreage, so came bearing fresh farm eggs. When he asked if I needed any eggs, of course I said YES. Hell yes!! When was the last time I had had fresh farm eggs? Jeff, not to be outdone, had raided his freezer and gave John and I some fresh deer steak. Last night, Mary had given us a quart of fresh apple butter. GOD, I love this bar - I think I even sang that song tonight!!!
It was soon time for bed, so headed back to the motorhome which tonight, was parked just outside. Time to make some miles tomorrow. Our two day stay in this area was made memorable by the wonderful folks we met while here. Thank you. You will not soon be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment