Thursday, October 12, 2017

Sunday, October 1/2017 - Saturday, October 7/2017

This week heralded in the month of October and started out rather drearily.  It is supposed to be a much chillier week with overnight temperatures dropping below freezing.  Although I am not a fan of this  chilly weather, I am afraid that this is what we get living in Northern Saskatchewan.  After all, it is Fall and that heralds in much chillier weather which includes the below zero thing but also triggers the beautiful Fall colors.  So.....we take the good with the bad and be happy that we are able to experience the changes.
Sunday of course was spent watching football so the dreary day didn't really impact our plans. Hopefully I will have made all the right picks and win the pool this week.  LOL......it could happen!! Well, as it turned out, I was not the winner of this week's pool but that has not dampened by spirits as I realize there is always other chances.
Monday and Tuesday offered up chilly mornings but the sun broke through by noon and it actually turned out to be quite a nice day.  The evenings brought more chill and sitting around the campfire offered great warmth while we sat around spending the final few weeks chatting with Gary and Dave and Shirley.  We are down to the last few weeks now and we will be headed to the warmer weather of Arizona.
This week, John got the final packing done to the truck and I managed to get it cleaned and vacuumed out so it is now ready for the trip South.  The quad got new brakes, the oil got changed and the "desert" tires were put back on so it too, was ready for the trip South.
Dave and Shirley scooped 38 fresh killed Canada Geese from a local outfitter on Wednesday and made a quick trip out into the forest to de-feather and gut them.  Doing this in the forest leaves all the mess out there and not in their yard.  Also, all the scraps are left to the little critters to pick through and enjoy.  It works out well for everyone!!
On Thursday, I walked over to the nursing home where I was due for my annual performance appraisal.  It went smoothly and I look forward to another summer of work!!  Hopefully, my hip cooperates!!
Jace and Casey stopped by late Thursday night headed for the lake.  It is the weekend of their annual "guys only" weekend.  I was in bed by the time they arrived so did not get to see them.  Hopefully the two of them will stop by on their way home Monday.
On Friday, the day started out chilly as usual but by noon, the sun was out and the temperature improved.  I scooted over to the store to pick up a few things I was going to need for the turkey supper I have planned for Monday.  Other than that, Friday was spent resting up for my two day shifts coming up over the weekend.
Another local outfitter contacted me and asked if I wanted more goose breasts (like last year) and I said "Of course"!!  John and I won't use them but Dave and Shirley sure will.  I mentioned to Dave and there was a huge smile on his face.  Man, there is going to be some goose jerky making this winter over at their house!!  When we went to get them, we found a HUGE and I mean HUGE rubbermaid tub full of breasted goose!!  Not one feather to be found.  Dave scooped them up, soaked them in vinegar and cold water over night (apparently that take the "wild" taste out of them) then threw them into the freezer on Saturday.  He is one happy hunter.  He is reaping the benefits of the fall goose hunt and not even raising his rifle.
Saturday found me over at the nursing home to start my two day shifts.  I have only one more working shift after this weekend and then I am done for this summer season!!  Woohoo!!  Made it through another one!
Life is indeed Good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment