Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday, January 20/2010











The sun is shining this morning and there is not one rain cloud in the sky!! The ground is totally soaked and Hogan just loves to have his feet cleaned each time he comes in from outside. With all the wind that was blowing last night I am not surprised to see the hummingbird feeder tipped over. Oh well, that is an easy fix. Man, did it ever rain yesterday - it poured for hours.
There is plenty of evidence that the washes were VERY active during the rain. The riverlets of water are more that visible and I can't help wishing that I could have seen them running. It would have been something to see. There is debris and "foam" along the edges where there was enough of a volume to push the debris over the edge of the wash which means, that the water level could easily have been six or eight inches deep!! This doesn't sound like very much but, wouldn't it have been something to see. Too bad most of the hard rain came after dark. I took some pics of the wash but I am not sure if the water patterns will show up very well.
Anyway, like I said before, the sun is shining today. Hogan and I are off for a walk to see what we can see!! Back about two hours later and the rain clouds are forming once again. John wasn't home when we arrived so he must have gone into town to get the other "part" for the little truck. Hogan and I spent some time chatting to an older couple on our walk. They are from Wickenburg and often come out this way rock hounding. Ann collects rocks and Bob uses his metal detector and finds all sorts of things he says. They were quite interesting to talk with and knew we had changed our camping site. They had liked the Christmas lights we had along the coach and in the tree during the festive season. I mentioned to Bob that we were interested in getting a metal detector and he said he would bring his around for us to see sometime. He apparently has two - one real fancy and one not so fancy!! It should be interesting.
I cooked a roast on the BBQ, it had been marinating for 24 hours and man, was it good and oh so tender!! I really impress myself sometimes!!
It started raining about midnight - Ann did mention that it was supposed to rain again - Oh well, the desert needs the rain. The saguaro will be full of water and perhaps there will be some desert flowers to see after this rain. Oh, I forgot to mention - while Hogan and I were on our walk we came across a couple of dead Saguaro cactus and I took pictures of both of them. One shows the wooden structures that grow inside the cactus to help keep the trunk straight and give it some stability and the other shows the inside structures and curly formations that I imagine are responsible for holding all the water inside the cactus. It resembled a kind of a huge sponge inside so I hope the pictures were able to capture the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment