Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday, January 21/2010















It rained all night and is still raining this morning!! I woke up several times to hear the sounds of rain on the roof. I could hardly wait for the dawn to break so that I could see the wash in action!! Up early - still fairly dark out so I can't see the wash. Hogan is once again impressed with me wiping his sandy feet off when he comes in from outside so I can't imagine that he will be in a hurry to leave the bus again. The rain has been nice and steady - not the hard pounding rain we had previously but a real good soaker!!
I got out my umbrella and Hogan and I walked to the wash (about 50 feet away) and I was quite disappointed to see only wet sand - No rushing water - not even a trickle!! Oh well, maybe next time. There are several little riverlets running through the campsite but, nothing more than what you would see back home during a good rain. It is still quite warm out despite the rain - which is good because, this rain looks like it is an all day thing.
I looked out at the wash about 10AM and what do my wondering eyes see?? Why, it is WATER and man is it traveling!! I quickly grabbed the camera and the umbrella and Hogan and I are out the door - ready to catch the phenomenon on film. WOW!! It was a sight to see - one minute there was just wet sand and the next there was a creek flowing by the camper. Hogan of course had to enter the wash and it was only 2-3" deep so, although it was flowing fast, it was shallow.
Because it was such a dreary day, I decided to be Suzy Homemaker and make some cabbage rolls for supper - can't dance so I might just as well cook!! Only one problem with the cabbage roll idea - NO cabbage in the fridge so I had to make a quick trip into town for a few vital ingredients. Once they were made and cooked, John decided to go for a little tour of the area to see what the rain has done. It was still raining fairly heavily but with camera and the little Flip video camera in hand, off we went. Hopefully some of the video will give you an idea of just how fast the water was flowing.
We headed up towards the highway and found a Road Closed sign across it but of course ignored it and went to see what we could see. We shot some video of the water crossing the highway bringing lots of debris with it. The road itself wasn't bad for the little truck and the water flooding it was not that deep, however, I can see why the county would close it to traffic. Not everyone knows how to drive these conditions properly and I can imagine there is a significant risk of losing control of your vehicle so, better safe than sorry. We turned around and drove back to the sign only to be greeted by the local police who mentioned to us that ignoring a road closed sign is a Criminal Act!! We said we weren't aware of that and he said "Just so you know for next time". So now that he had chastised us for our foolishness, we carried on our way and explored the back country some more.
Once back at home, John read on the internet weather report that not only were the flash flood warnings still out but there was also a tornado warning out!! GREAT!! I always wanted to fly!!
Who knows - maybe we will wake up in the next county tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment