Saturday, May 19, 2018

Sunday, May 13/2018 - Saturday, May 19/2018

I started off this week by working a night shift right off the bat and I have three more shifts scheduled for the remainder of the week'
John has been busy unpacking the side by side and just getting things settled in.
The grass is calling to him and the lawnmower will be needing an oil change before that happens.  Apparently the side by side needs one too and the tires need to be changed.  So...it is a good thing that I am working so that he can get his jobs done!!
We did manage to go for another Sami ride on Tuesday and that was fun.  We decided to check out "12"Mile Trail and a few of the nearby lakes.
Shirley had gotten the soft top sewn over the winter and John put that on before we headed out.   This way, if there was any flying mud we would at least have the soft top to catch it.   I really hate mud in my hair!!  And....on my clothes, or my skin....or anywhere else it wants to land on me!!!
We accessed the trail and soon found water on the trail.  In fact we found LOTS of water on the trail. We were actually quite surprised to see the amount of water on this trail considering how dry the last two trails were.
I am not very adventurous anymore when it comes to water on the trail and I felt I had to remind John to look for any available tree that he might have to hook the winch to if we happened to get stuck.  He was not impressed with my disrespect toward Sami and its ability to get out of the mud and water!!  Hmmmm....I seem to remember the need to use the winch last week because of its inability to climb over a root and out of the mud but I did not mention that to John!!
As it turned out, Sami climbed through this first mud hole and every one after and I was eternally grateful for that.  John did not fail to chastise me though for not believing in Sami!!  Gosh, I sure hope I didn't hurt Sami's feelings!!
Once we accessed the grid road again we headed further North.   We got to the junction, took a right and accessed the Otter Lake turn off.  We only made it a hundred feet down the trail before we were stopped in our tracks.  Mr. Beaver had been very busy and had felled four trees across the trail.   Well then, I guess we won't be going any further down this trail and Otter lake will have to wait for another day.
We then headed over to Utah Lake and spent time there.  Of course there was no one else around and we had the place to ourselves.  Booko chased a few sticks into the water but was very cautious when it came time to actually swim for one.   That was not going to be happening today!!  I told John to get into the water with him but he said "it is too damn cold"!!  I'm thinking the lake has probably only been ice free for a week or so!!
We then headed to Buck Lake to check that area out.  It too was really quiet and once again we mentioned that it would be a really nice place for the kids to camp.  It is a really nice spot to set up a chair and have a cold beer in the summer too!!  You sit up on the hill looking down at the lake and get to enjoy the surrounding forest.   We have seen deer and bear here so that is always a bonus.  There is a pair of nesting loons on the lake and it is always nice to hear their call.
From Buck we made our final stop at Vimy.  Again, there was minimal water along the trail.  Actually there was only one spot and that was easily avoided.  The Lake was quiet and Booko enjoyed checking out the water's edge and surrounding area.
All too soon, it was time to call it a day and head home.  It had been a great adventure.  Sami had performed well and fun was had by all.
The rest of the week is reserved for shifts at the nursing home.
The kids are supposed to be coming up for the long weekend so hopefully we will get to have a visit with them at some point.  I am really not available until Sunday as Saturday will be sleep day for me.  But, they have a ton of friends coming up for the weekend and who really wants to spend time with their parents when you have friends and lots of adventures awaiting you.   Not me!!
I know that Kimmy is looking forward to the start of the "lake season"  and with this being the first....well that only makes it that much more special.


Utah Lake

Vimy Lake


No comments:

Post a Comment