Friday, November 3, 2017

Tuesday, October 31/2017

The dog was barking at 3:30 this morning and John thought that "something" was into the garbage I had so carefully put outside last night and up on the propane tanks so that it would be "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" to any nocturnal creature that may inhabit the area.  Apparently, I did not take into consideration "Out of Smell"!!
Oh yes, there was definitely something into the garbage as I lay in bed listening to the rattling of the cans!!  Shit, Oh Dear......
Not wanting to have to deal with garbage strewn all over the place in the morning, I decide to go out and "rescue" it.
Now, picture this, I had on my awesome nightie, put on John's shoes, grabbed a small flashlight and grabbed my long handled plastic shoehorn.  I was ready to do battle!!  John thought (as I did as well) that it was probably a raccoon looking for some easy pickings but also advised me that it may be a skunk too.
I turned on the outside light, opened the door and closed it several times to make noise. I banged my shoehorn on the door and was prepared to "do battle" should the need arise.  Surely no self respecting nocturnal creature is going to stick around once he has been discovered and the "gig was up"!!  Just as I stepped outside, John did say that perhaps it was a bear!!   WHAT - well Jesus....I am sure this lime green plastic shoehorn will be an awesome weapon against a bear!!  Please note that John had yet to get out of bed!!  LOL
I advanced towards the front of the trailer and sure enough, there was one bag of garbage on the ground that had been torn apart but I didn't see any movement nor a set of gleaming pissed off eyes in the glow of my mini flashlight!!  THAT was a very good thing!!  I quickly grabbed it off the ground and thought I had better take both bags back into the trailer for the remainder of the night.  With that thought in mind, I grabbed the remaining bag off the propane tanks only to discover that "the creature" had ripped the bottom of the bag open and with me grabbing it off the tank,  dumped its contents on the ground.  Now that in itself would not have been so bad, BUT, I had decided to clean out the fridge last night of all the leftovers and that included a bowl of spaghetti and meat sauce, some leftover caesar salad, some mashed potatoes and numerous other sundry items!!
Shit, Oh Dear....now I had a real mess to clean up, a potential bear in the bushes (why the hell did John even say that!!), a mini flashlight in my mouth and a lime green plastic shoehorn in my hand.....Oh and did I mention that I was in my nightie!!   Good God....I thought .....It is 3:30 in the God damn morning and this sucks!!  Of course I left the dog inside not wanting him to get into any trouble - especially if it was a skunk  so I didn't even have him as back up!!  He would have gladly helped my clean up the mess though and you don't need to think that that thought didn't cross my mind as I began quickly scooping up the mess before what ever caused this mess returned to stake its claim!!
Just as I was finished scooping the conglomeration of leftovers off the ground, I noticed the top of the propane cover was covered in spaghetti, meat sauce and mashed potatoes!!  OH GREAT and,  it is all over the miles of curled up power cord too!!  Now isn't that just fricking lovely (and I do not mean "fricking").  I can do this...and, I did!!  And, I didn't get attacked by some unknown four legged assailant!!  I knew that lime green plastic shoehorn would come in handy for more than just putting on my shoes!! I must have put the fear of God into that creature when he heard me coming!!
I was back in bed by 4:00 and glad to be there.   Booko looked at me as if I had two heads and John was almost back to sleep!!  Man, my life is never dull!!
Needless to say, I had a bit of trouble getting back to sleep but eventually did and made another attempt at greeting the day about 8:00 a.m.
The sun was shining and it looked like it was going to be a nice day.  Hell, I had survived a vicious attack on my garbage bags and I was into the warmer temperatures!!   Could life get any better than that??
With today being October 31st, that means there will be all sorts of little ghosts and goblins out trick or treating tonight.  It looks like it is going to be a nice evening for them down here but I hear that there is going to be snow for all the kids back home.  Typical weather at home for the end of October!!
We started out today's journey heading to the Walmart in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.  It was only a few miles down Interstate 70 so with a quick stop there, we could continue our journey Southward.
First though, we had to travel through Glenwood Canyon and that was incredible.
According to Google......Glenwood Canyon is a 20 km (12 1/2 mile) ruggedly scenic canyon on the Colorado River.  Some of its walls climb as high as 1300 feet above the river and is the largest such canyon on the Colorado.  This canyon historically provided the routes of railroads and highways through Western Colorado and is currently the home for part of Interstate 70 and the Central Corridor between Denver and Grand Junction.  In 1906, this canyon provided the route for the Taylor State Road.  It was a gravel road that was the first route for vehicles through the Colorado Rockies.  The canyon is widely considered one of the most scenic, natural features of the Interstate highway system in the United States.  It truly was incredible and I think the highlight of today's trip'
Once the trip to Walmart was complete and what a circuitous trip that was just trying to find it in Glenwood Springs!!  Thank heavens for Google Maps or we would never have found it tucked way back in the corner of this quaint little city.
We continued our journey which took us over a few more mountain passes and thankfully....no snow again today.  It was a good climb up some of them but the scenery was truly incredible.  Really, I do not think that the scenery can really be matched anywhere.  The rugged beauty and all the surrounding forests and innumerable lakes and rivers is awesome.  It was a good day for travel.
Eventually, we did get into much lower elevations and warmer temperatures and managed to find a camping spot for the night in Escalante Canyon.  It lies just outside of Delta, Colorado.
Once again, according to Google......Escalante Canyon is named after one of the padres of the Dominguez-Escalante Epedition that passed through the Delta area in 1776.  Escalante Creek has cut a 1300 foot deep canyon revealing a 600 million year old geologic history.  It is used today for canyoneering, hiking and off roading and is the home for at least two petroglyph sites.  It is also the home for many big mountain sheep.
Of course, John and I were not looking to do any canyoneering and were happy to just sit around our "campfire in a can" while supper cooked!!  Life is Good!!


Headed out

I 70 west Colorado



Glenwood Canyon


Glenwood Canyon.   Eastbound traffic underneath
Westbound!!



Pretty incredible engineering

Colorado River of Glenwood Canyon


The tunnels of Glenwood Canyon


Marie's favorite store again

Lots of snow in the upper elevations


leaves are still on the trees!!




Snow along the roadside but the pavement is dry!!






Someone needs to clean the windows!!



Our spot for the night - Escalante Canyon

Escalante Canyon Road

Moon coming up


Sunset in Escalante Canyon

Another awesome day

No comments:

Post a Comment