Friday, November 3, 2017

Thursday, November 2/2017

The sun was shining again this morning and we packed up and headed out again snapping one more picture of the San Miguel River before leaving this cute little campground.  We were going to continue through Colorado and eventually end up some place nice for the evening.  Well.....that was the plan.  Actually, that is always the plan and as you know, sometimes the plan does not work out but we are hopeful!!

San Miguel River


There is one of those damn signs again!!

HIGH mountains coming up!!  "14ers"
John wanted to travel along more scenic byways and of course if there were some HIGH mountain passes along the way, well, that would be awesome!!   We decided to take a rather circuitous trip today which would take us to Telluride, Colorado and up into the surrounding mountains.   Me, I'm all for finding some lowland and getting the hell out of these passes!!  I really have lost a lot of my sense of adventure as I get older and I am soooo okay with that.  John, on the other hand loves the challenge.


Older building in one of the many towns we drove through


Shit, Oh Dear.....a paved shelf road!!
Trucks.....Use Lower Gear!! 10% grade


Colorado....the state of incredible scenery





I must admit though, if John didn't drag my ass along on these adventures I would not see some of the most incredible sights to be seen.  Although I sit with my hand gripped on the handle of the door (don't mention the white knuckles) I am blessed to see the majesty of these Colorado Rockies.




The Mountains around Telluride, Colorado 14ers

One of the many passes and these signs were too numerous
for my liking.


a "14er"



LOTS of snow

So glad the pavement is dry


The temperature is definitely chilly up here




Snow in the evergreens along the highway




Eventually, we did descend into the lower elevations and into much warmer temperatures.  The scenery was not as majestic but it soon turned into the sandstone cliffs that would take us into the State of Utah.    We were finally out of Colorado and one state closer to our final destination - Arizona!!

Finally, down into the lower elevations of Cortez, Colorado



Welcome to Utah
We camped tonight in one of our "usual" spots.  It lies just off Highway 191 beside the San Juan River just a hop, skip and jump from the Sand Island Campground.  It was chilly when we stopped as the sun had already set but we quickly got set up, rolled out the slide on the trailer and got the heat going.   It is Thursday so that means Thursday night football so we had to get the TV dish up and the game on.   It took a bit for the dish to find the satellite but we managed to watch the Buffalo Bills get their asses kicked by the New York Jets!!   John and I and Kay all took the Bills over the Jets in tonight's game for the football pool.  Only one girl  took the Jets and I am sure she is laughing like an little girl over the win!!  Oh well, there is always Sunday's games to catch up on!!



Moon in the mirror
Supper tonight was "inside" fair which meant that it was my turn to cook so it was pan fried burgers and oven fries.  The burgers were good and the fries were "ok"!!   I would have much preferred one of John's bbq's meals but settled for this!!   After all, it was late, chilly and he had safely brought me over several very high mountain passes today so he deserved a night "out of the kitchen"!!  Maybe tomorrow I will make him one of my famous homemade pizzas!!   Life is Good!!

Our spot for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment