Monday, March 3, 2014

Sunday, February 23/2014 - Saturday, March 1/2014

Man….another very busy week has come and gone but the work is getting done and soon what was scheduled for this year's remodel will be complete.
Sunday was the final day of the winter Olympics and the gold medal men's hockey game was scheduled to be shown at 4:00 a.m. and I was determined to get up and cheer our Canadian boys on.  According to the schedule, coverage was to start at four but by five it still had not started so I decided to head back to bed and wake up in an hour.  As it turned out, they had dropped the puck a few minutes before I finally was able to watch it but I did manage to watch the whole game!!  John got up for the second and third periods and together we watched our boys bring home the gold medal.  It was an awesome game.
Hummingbird rescued

Another awesome sunset


Quad ride






Kay and Glen


Lizard came to visit






Stop at an old well

Old mine site



The sun going down





Marie and Kay's roofing



Another shitty job done, (Doesn't she looked thrilled)
Kay came over to watch the closing ceremonies with me (John went back to bed!!).  They too were pretty impressive!!
Once we got that over with, it was time to get back to work and over the next few days, we got the siding up on the man cave/garage.
Kay and I took some time to jeep into the desert to dig up some of the local flora and transplant it into the open desert outside the fence.   I want to look out there and see flowers so we have started on that little project.  Eventually, I want to plant some cactus out there as well.  I am tired of looking at just the messy mesquite trees!!
We managed to squeeze a quad trip in this week as well.  All work and no play makes for very cranky people.  We took Kay's friend Glen up to Wickenburg Mountain then took a rather circuitous trip through San Domingo Wash and back home again.  Of course it ended up being a night ride as the trails at night are a lot different looking than during the day and our previous flagging was very lax in some places.  According to Mitch (who also joined us) we took 1500 wrong turns before finally finding the right ones to get us home!!  I don't think it was quite that many but it was a few!!    Anyway, long story short…it was a long day but it was fun and we all made it back unscathed!!
We had a short adventure this week with a wayward hummingbird.  He somehow managed to get himself trapped inside the house and we had to do a rescue as the poor little thing just could not find his way to the door.  He finally found the window and this is where I was able to capture him.  I put him out by the feeder and the little thing must have sat there for 10 minutes before finally regaining its strength to fly away.
I sprayed the weeds in the yard today.  It was time.  It was not too bad in the main part of the yard but the back was a mess.  There are some pretty nasty little pokies back there but I manage to get them all sprayed so hopefully they all just die an ugly screaming death!!  I even took the saw to the hateful mesquite tree in the back and gave it a haircut as well.  Now it stands pretty much bare.  I hate all the nasty pokies around here…. hell everything wants a piece of you!!
Kay and I took a trip into Home Depot this week and got the supplies needed for the roof and we managed to get it nailed down and ready for shingles.  With a  quick trip to Johnson's lumber here in Wickenburg, the shingle material was purchased and Kay and I spent Thursday putting down the tar paper and then the rolled roofing.   Man, what a hateful job.  Remind me NOT to come back as a roofer in my next life!!  I managed to only smash my thumb once with the hammer and Kay managed only on giant sized bruise on her leg!!  We did good but were exhausted after that nasty ass job.
Friday brought some rain and it was very cloudy.  There is a promise of a huge rain fall for Saturday so I guess the new roofing is going to get a testing!!  It absolutely poured all day Saturday and the roof held up beautifully.    It was a movie day around here as there simply was nothing else to do.  Captain Philips, Escape Plan, The Lone Ranger and Bad Grandpa were viewed as the torrential downpour happened outside.  There was a lake in our back yard and Hogan was not impressed at all!!
Kay was telling Glen about how good my cabbage rolls are and he has asked several times this week about when I was going to make him some so I did manage to squeeze in some time to do just that and they were enjoyed by all.  Even Mitch liked them!!  Woo Hoo.    He had never had a cabbage roll in his life!!   WHAT!!   Now who goes through life never eating a cabbage roll?
Anyway, it has been another busy week and our time here in Arizona is coming to an end.  Time sure flies…….six more weeks and we are headed home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment